For the pizza dough
3 ½ cups all purpose flour (maida)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ cup warm water
1 sachet yeast
For the pizza sauce
1 cup tomato puree
Dried oregano to taste
Dried basil to taste
Garlic powder to taste
Onion powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
For the topping
½ cup capsicum (cut into rings or strips)
½ cup fried sausage
Rings of one medium onion
1 tomato (diced)
1 cup shredded mozzarella
How to prepare the pizza sauce
Mix all the ingredients under the ‘for the pizza sauce’.
How to make the pizza base
1. Add yeast to warm water and set it aside for about 3 minutes, so that it dissolves completely and produces a creamy texture.
2. Mix together the flour, salt, sugar and olive oil in a glass bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer. Pour the yeast mixture to it and knead into soft dough. If using hand, knead it for about 15 minutes and if using a stand mixer, knead it for about 10 minutes in low speed.
3. Oil two bowls with olive oil. Divide the dough into two halves and roll into balls. Keep them on the bowls and brush some olive oil on top, to prevent crusting. Cover the bowls with plastic wraps and place them in a warm area of the kitchen. I prefer the inside of my oven, keeping it switched off.
4. Let them rise for approximately 1 ½ hours or until they have doubled in size.
5. Once ready, sprinkle some flour onto the counter and roll out the dough, one at a time, using a rolling pin.
6. Place the base on the baking sheet or pizza plate. Make a shallow well on the base by slowly and carefully pushing from the inside out towards the edge.
Spread the pizza sauce on the pizza base and spread the vegetables and sausage over it. A layer of mozzarella cheese on the top and the pizza is ready to go into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes in the oven preheated to 475 degrees.
Dough made as per the above instructions will give two medium pizzas.
Note: You can change the toppings and the sauce as per your taste.
Ready-made pizza sauces are available in the market.
Cook chicken strips with some salt, and season with pepper. This can be used instead of sausage.
i know the crust looks hard and ugly. But believe me, it was very soft and yummy.